Looking to add an element of surprise the next time you give a birthday card? Envelopes can hold some amazing gifts, like concert tickets or gift cards, but it's still fun to be able to rip open some wrapping paper, even if it is just a small surprise. This super simple DIY will show how to repackage candies in a way that's sure to put a smile on birthday girl/boy's face.
See the full instructions after the jump!
Supplies: thin wrapping paper (Party City's 99 cent rolls are perfect), double stick tape, heart stickers, perforating cutter (Fiskars sells a similar tool), ruler, scissors, wrapped candies.
- Cut a piece of wrapping paper however long you like but wide enough to wrap around your candies. I cut mine 3.5" by 12" and that was more than enough room for five Starbursts.
- Using your candies as a guide, fold the paper to create a pocket that meets just past the edge of the candies.
- Fold the other edge of the paper so that it overlaps the pocket, still being sure the candies fit inside.
- Unfold the paper and put a piece of double stick tape along the edge the middle panel. Place the candy next to it, and then add a second piece of tape on the other side of the candy.
- Refold one edge of the paper so that it adheres to the tape.
- Repeat for the rest of the candies.
- To seal the wrapper, put pieces of tape along the open edge. The easiest way to do this is to put a small piece for each seam dividing the compartments and then separate pieces along the edge that will fold over the candy. Leave a small gap between each piece of tape.
- Carefully refold the open edge over to meet the wrapper, pressing to adhere. Some bubbling is inevitable, but the gaps left between the tape allows it to distribute as evenly as possible. Trim any excess paper off the ends.
- Use your perforating tool to make a line down the centre of the seam between each compartment. This will make it easier to tear each candy off individually (which is so satisfying to do!).
Depending on the wrapping paper and candy packaging, you might be able to see the candy through the wrapping paper. The Starbursts pictured didn't pose a problem, but I've encountered this with mini Heath bars in the past. Do not fret! Putting a sticker on each candy compartment is not only cute, but also covers anything showing through. And there you have it - a simple way to add a fun little surprise to a birthday card!
What candy would you most like to receive in one of these wrappers? I think I'd have to say Reese cups would be my choice! If you can't decide on just one, try using different types of candy in each compartment for even more of a surprise!